- Request an Appeal
- About Us
- Contact Info
Welcome to McHenryCountyTaxAppeals.com!
Where saving you money on your real estate taxes is our ONLY goal.
Over the past several years it has become more and more apparent many residential real estate assessments in McHenry County no longer accurately reflect the value of the properties being assessed. With the significant real estate correction over the past few years, this discrepancy has become even greater, resulting in many taxpayers being over-assessed and therefore paying more in real estate property taxes than necessary.
While the ability for a homeowner to formally appeal their property assessment has always been an option, the process can be time-consuming and confusing for someone new to the process. With a short, 30-day time window to file an appeal from the date of notification by the county township, and very little margin for error, a homeowner has very little time to learn and complete the appeal process.
Our goal is to make the assessment appeal process as easy for the homeowner as possible, by taking the worries, frustrations, and uncertainty out of the process. Our services include preparing all of the appropriate appeal research specific to your property, and completing all necessary documentation.
ARE YOU TIRED OF PAYING HIGH PROPERTY TAXES?
NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE CONTROL AND REDUCE YOUR TAXES!
YOUR PROPERTY ASSESSMENT VALUE MAY BE TOO HIGH.
What I offer:
1. Free preliminary analysis. If I don’t believe I can prepare a successful appeal for your property assessment, I won’t accept your appeal case. Please note, if you have received a letter from us in the mail, a preliminary analysis has already identified what could be the potential for a successful assessment appeal for your address.
2. Property research and document preparation. I will compile the necessary documentation and evidence, and complete the necessary forms required for you to submit your completed property assessment appeal.
3. Flat service fee. My fee for research and preparation of the required appeal forms is a flat $250. It is often commonplace for similar services to charge as much as 50% of the first year’s tax savings. If your appeal is unsuccessful, I will refund you $200 of my fee. Example: If your lower assessment results in $1,000 in property tax savings, other appeal services may charge $500 for a successful appeal. An appeal with our service is simply $250.
4. Experience. I have successfully prepared property assessment appeals in McHenry County for several years. I am also an Illinois registered, non-practicing CPA.
What is the benefit?
1. Time savings. No need for you to spend hours trying to understand the complex property assessment appeal process, and completing the necessary, required research. Let me do the research and prepare the forms for you.
2. Lower taxes. Obtain a lower property assessment, resulting in less property taxes owed for this coming year, and every year in the future!
3. Local availability. I am a Cary resident, focused on assisting local homeowners reduce their property taxes.
4. Low risk. If your appeal is unsuccessful, I will refund $200 of my initial fee.
5. Excellent investment. For a fee of $250, you could potentially save several times that amount, each and every year going forward in future taxes owed.
DON’T WAIT UNTIL IT’S TOO LATE FOR THIS COMING TAX YEAR!
The process for beginning an appeal is very easy. Simply send an email with the following basic information to AppealYourTaxes@comcast.net:
Contact Phone Number
All individuals submitting a request for a potential appeal will receive an email response stating whether an appeal is believed to be possible or not. If an appeal appears to be warranted, you will receive an email with further contact information along with a service agreement and short questionnaire to be completed on your property. Please return these documents promptly in order for the research to begin on your property. Due to research and time constraints, please don’t delay your inquiry, as all appeal requests received too close to your township's filing deadline may unfortunately not be accepted.
The fee for preparing an appeal custom tailored to your property is $250, due with the signed agreement and information sheet. It should be noted, in the event your specific appeal is rejected by McHenry County, $200 will be refunded to you, resulting in an out of pocket cost to you of only $50.
McHenryCountyTaxAppeals.com, a division of New Haven Enterprises, is owned and managed by Scott Weichle. Scott has been a resident of Cary, IL, for over 9 years, and is a life-long McHenry County resident. For several years, Scott has utilized his background in finance and accounting to gain a strong understanding of the residential property assessment appeal process in McHenry County while gaining valuable experience preparing successful property assessment appeals. He is a registered Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in the State of Illinois.
The answer depends on what township you live in. Each township has a 30 day window of time, typically in the fall of the year, to file an appeal, after the assessment notice has been received from the county. There are no exceptions to this timeframe, and each township can have a slightly different 30 day time period. Part of the service includes monitoring these strict deadlines, to ensure your appeal is filed on a timely basis.
2. How does lowering my property’s assessed value possibly lower my real estate taxes?
Real estate taxes in McHenry County are determined by multiplying the assessed property value by the calculated tax rate for your specific property. When your assessed property value is reduced, the amount of taxes that are owed are subsequently reduced, when compared to what would have been paid for taxes on the assessed value prior to the reduction.
For example, if your property is assessed at $100,000 (meaning the fair market value is $300,000) and your tax rate is 7%, your taxes would be $7,000. If an appeal reduces the assessed value to $90,000, the reduction in assessed value of $10,000 multiplied by the tax rate of 7% would be a tax savings of $700
3. Do I need to appeal my property assessment every year?
Hopefully the answer is no, but it really depends on your specific property, what the current assessed valuation is, and what has occurred in the real estate market in your area. A reduction in your property assessment this year, will carry forward in future years, as future assessment valuations will be adjusted based on the previous year’s valuation. What this means is a successful appeal this year can have financial savings each and every year going forward.
4. What do I need to do to file an assessment appeal?
When you use the services of McHenryCountyTaxAppeals.com, all research and document preparation is included. Your appeal will be ready for your submittal to the Board of Review in time to meet the required time deadline set by the county. Some basic information on your property will be needed from you at the start of the research process, after which you won’t need to worry about any details.
5. What is the fee for your service?
A simple, one-time flat service fee of $250 is charged, which includes all necessary research and completion of necessary documentation required to file a successful appeal. If an appeal filed on your property is rejected by the Board of Review, a refund of $200 of the service fee will be granted, resulting in a net, out of pocket cost to you of $50.
As an example, if your appeal resulted in a tax savings of $1000 the first year, the service fee would be the equivalent of 25%. However, when considered as an investment, the $250 fee would result in a net savings to you of $750, or a return of 300% in just the first year!
6. How long will it take for my appeal documentation to be completed?
Most appeals will be completed within 5-7 business days of receipt of the request, signed agreement, and receipt of the specified service fee. All appeal requests accepted and determined to have potential to be successful, will be guaranteed to be completed in time to submit the appeal to the Board of Review during the mandated time period for your township.
Please feel free to email with any questions you may have.
McHenryCountyTaxAppeals.com is not a law firm.